For the past few months I've been thinking about a lot of things pertaining to myself and my work, and today I had an epiphany: all of the work I have done while at KCAI has been about a lack of control in one way or another. My portraiture series (sentiments on the void) involved me relinquishing the control over the model and letting there own interpretations answer my problem, the question 'what is a blank stare?'
From there I began playing around with a hybrid form of cliche-verre, photogram, negative based imagery. Which is slowly gaining momentum. The series happened on accident/chance. From there Experiments 'A' came into play, then 'B,' 'C,' and now the future phase of color 'D.' My materials are everything I can get my hands on, and the effects, though I say where they happen, are random at best. This lack of control is thrilling and terrifying me. I haven't felt so excited about making images in a long time, but thinking about the events of my life, and how little control I've had made me wonder why my work has been this way, and how I didn't notice the connection between my mental status and my art.
Now that I am thinking about this, I can begin to understand, not control what I am doing. I've been able to come to terms with things one at a time, and now that I'm viewing my work in a sense of trying to understand, not control it, it no longer feels as though I make work because I have to; I want to.
EXPERIMENTS A 1-4




EXPERIMENTS B-1
*Documentation of emulsion deterioration of poorly stored 16mm koda-chrome film.






No comments:
Post a Comment