The Photographically Inclined:

Monday, April 5, 2010

The Beginning


I've been thinking about why I take photographs for about 3 months now and I'm starting to realize that the root of taking photographs begins with my mother. I know how Freudian you might say, but it reaches back to when she was recovering from breast cancer. Things she'd done, people, events, the majority of her short term memory was erased due to the chemotherapy. I began carrying around a disposable camera and documenting things, anything, everything. If it caught my interest in 6th grade, there probably is a photograph of it in existence, locked away in my parents basement. The photograph represents to me a memory, an idea, that the subject had existed, almost (those of you involved in photo theory understand the 'almost') proof that I had been there.
This notion in my mind I began thinking about the work I have done the past three years of college, from portraiture to just plain shooting it was all a form of documenting something. I have decided to continue on with my series 'Sentiments On The Void,' a series based off of a persons attempts at providing a blank stare. Some say that the eyes are the windows to the soul, and the way all of these portraits look at you, penetrate deep with in, is something that I want to achieve with all of my work. Therefore, why not continue on this exploration? If I can understand my own work better, then I can begin to grow and build it towards a place where all can understand it, and have a memory of when they saw it, a memory of that person, even if they've never met.

No comments:

Post a Comment